Thursday, August 9, 2007

Interviews with Rockin' Teachers

After interviewing the bands it was obvious that the driving force for most of these young people was the teachers and the insight and experiences they could share. We had the opportunity to interview some of these teachers. Matt, Adam, Skylar, Randy, and Wilson.

How did you first get involved with music?

Matt:
Middle school band with Mr. Payne.
Adam: My parents played a lot of music, my dad played the guitar and my mom the piano.
Skylar: I listened to Black Sabbath and really wanted to be a drummer but I lived in an apartment and couldn't play the drums because it was too loud so I got a guitar instead.
Randy: The Portland Public School System. You either had to take half a year of choir or a full year of band and choir was for sissies.

What instruments do you play?

Matt:
I stick to percussion
Adam: Guitar, bass, trumpet, drums
Skylar: bass, drums, guitar, piano, keyboard, and more.
Randy: guitar, trumpet, trombone, and more.

Favorite Place to Play a show?

Matt: Floyd's Truck Stop, House 801
Adam: Small venues, one's that can hold 50 people comfortable, up to 80 and that's uncomfortably.
Skylar: GP and High Dive in Denver.

Do you have a "day job?"


Matt:
I work at the cinema.
Adam: Well it's actually a night job. I drive a cab.
Skylar: I work at a recording studio.

Randy: Wait tables
Wilson: I work at a record warehouse.

Do you have anyone you look up to?


Matt:
People who strive to get somewhere.
Adam: Sincere people, helpful, exciting people.
Wilson: Skylar, and my older brother.

Skylar: Alan Singley, and myself, I wouldn't be where I am today without myself.
Randy: Alan Singley, and local moguls in Portland.


Do you have any pet peeves?

Matt:
Disorder!
Adam:
People saying "merch" and other unnecessary abbrevi
ations
Skylar:
Pictures that are close ups of my face.
Randy:
Unpunctual people. I hate how when you say 9 in Portland it means closer to 9:30 or 10
Wilson:
Disrespect.


If you could have any animal as a pet, what would it be?

Matt: Penguin or a koala.
Adam: A well behaved, big dog.
Skylar:
Cheetah
Randy:
Horse or unicorn.
Wilson:
A helicopter, well, I guess that isn't an animal.

Talking with the teachers about things other than music camp was wonderful, we got to learn a lot about them like the fact that Skylar has a very activ
e imagination, he kept us laughing with tales of "Globulan" and "Trekitron."

Article by Jessica Moran and Colee Mayfield





No comments: